Sunday, March 3, 2013

Thank you. You're welcome.


Why are we so bad at accepting thank yous?



It happens to me all the time. I’m like
“Oh hey, that was a caring, selfless small thing you just did for me… Thank you.” 
“Meh. Yuh.”

Don’t assume my sample is limited to just teenagers, because it is NOT just teenagers. It’s basically everyone.

“Hey, that’s where my pencil went, thanks for finding it,”
“Right."

I was under the impression that common courtesy required a few simple response formulas:
Statement                                                 Response
Hello.                                                   Hi.
How are you?                                  I’m doing well, how are you?
[introduced to someone]           Nice to meet you./ Charmed.
Can I take your coat?                 Certainly. Be careful, it’s real mink fur.
Goodbye.                                         Goodbye.
Would you like…?                         Yes, please./ No, thank you.
May you…?                                     Yes, certainly./ No, absolutely not.
Thank you.                                     You’re welcome.

Are mothers and teachers no longer educating people of this last common response?
Is "you're welcome" dead?

Thank you.
You’re welcome.

It’s not a huge deal. I’m just wondering, why are we so bad at that? Is it Minnesota nice? Is it like an attempt at humility? If that's true, I think it misses the mark.

I’m like, Hey, I noticed you did me a favor that in some small way improved my life, I will take the time to express my gratitude for your altruistic sacrifice of time and energy.

Responses such as “don’t mention it” and “no problem” are usually also accepted as responses, besides “you’re welcome”. Even a "nah it's chill dawg" I will grant.

“Yup” is not a legitimate response. I do not accept.

Take the time to recognize my display of gratitude with more than an obligatory grunt PLEASE.

No comments:

Post a Comment