Sunday, March 3, 2013

Enjoy it while it lasts.

If I had my way, we would never leave. / If I had my way, you and I'd be all we'd ever need. / If I had my way, this town would stay my home. / Of all of the things I've been given, my way is the one thing I won't.

Tomorrow I will miss today.
If only I had my way.

They all tell you you never know what you got until it's gone. They never specify what you should do if you realize what you have while you still have it.



I have more than everything I've ever wanted. I'm at the threshold of independence but just before the cliff of self-responsibility. I'm about to graduate high school.

I look around at the faces in my high school, kids I see every single day, kids I laugh with and struggle through physics with and chant C-R-I-M-S-O-N with and drive with and study econ with and sing WEEE AAARE YOOOOUNG with and eat bad school hamburgers with...and I know it can't last.

I know I can't stay young forever.

I know I won't always be able to eat a whole bag of Doritos and never exercise without any consequences. My legs won't always work so flawlessly and my arms won't always be able to lift so tirelessly. I won't have this voice forever. I won't have this 20/20 vision forever and I know from my dad that I won't have such exemplary taste buds forever.

If I consider the facts, biologically I am at the peak of my career. And while I marvel at that and abuse it as much as possible (yeah I turn the speakers up louder and yeah I lift that heavy bag using my back)...it freaks the crap out of me.

If this is as good as things get...that's wonderful. This is a wonderful life.

But if this is as good as things gets...that's awful.

That means I can only go down from here. That means I will only go down from here. The idea frightens me.

"We were still so cool / Our bodies smooth and young / Dreams of getting older / Were never supposed to come." (Emery)

So love every second of it. Cherish it, just like the old bearded guy on the bench advises. Just like your parents say. Just like your bus driver says. Just like every adult that ever talks to a teenager about the teenage years says.



Enjoy it while it lasts.


I enjoy it. I appreciate it.
I'm scared to find out what happens when it stops lasting.


If you look around and realize what you have BEFORE it's gone...

Then what?

No comments:

Post a Comment